Opportunities or Obstacles- is it worth taking grade 12 University level English for Post Secondary?

     As an Ontario high school student, attending university next year, I have witnessed the discourse regarding whether it should be mandatory to do Grade 12 university level English to attend University. Despite the fact that it is currently mandatory in all Ontario universities to have this credit, it is somehow still a debate. I am wholeheartedly grateful for this requirement. This is because I believe it is saving me ALOT of hassle, I would otherwise struggle with, without this prerequisite. 

 

The Financials of University 

At this current moment, it is mandatory to complete Grade 12 university level English, OR something similar- for an example, an English test or course through the University. At Dalhousie University, they charge 775$ to complete the English requirement course in lieu of the original credit (Grade 12 university level English). The price of university for a four-year degree is currently estimated at 96,004$ claimed Embark, a website for post-secondary budgeting. That is an insane amount of money to dish out in the first place and imagine having to pay an extra ( almost!) 800$ too? That does not include textbooks either. 



 

Photo by Hana Ticha 

 

 

Preparation is Key 

University can be challenging to everybody and everyone! I believe preparation is important in your success. Take for example, myself. I am quite nervous about the workload and the essay writing I will endure in university. I am pushing myself this semester of my grade 12 university level English, that way I can prevent burn out, and practice my skills. Between science-based courses, social services or even technology, you will find yourself writing tons of essays. Keep in mind, grammar and punctuation are JUST as important! if you are starting to notice a trend, the university English level course, will prepare you for all of those. I find it is better to be overprepared vs under.  

 

Workplace Proficiency  

You will find in every workplace, that you will have to require a basic understanding of English. My peers may claim you will not study English in post-secondary, so why would you need it? You need to think further ahead, in terms of your final occupation. Think about the amount of paperwork many jobs require. If your job is anything publicly related, you need to be able to construct professional and proper emails. Depending on your job, you may even need to document your findings. I personally cannot name a specific job where proficient English is not a necessity.   

 

Take my advice- by taking university level Grade 12 English, you are setting yourself up for success. I hope that you may consider why this is so beneficial to students, and how much this debate directly affects YOU.  

 

 



Ticha, Hana. Learning, 31 Jan. 2014, www.flickr.com/photos/eltpics/12242929783/in/photolist-jDSdug-wES3sC-cJeCQs-8zdKjM-CEb6Uz-3pe6pg-aygLxC-BUFNMj-Rgmq2f-D3iJnb-8pkntm-dChW9p-qex9y4-dYwJVb-2k8suae-2mazadG-9CYU9M-94bxc1-aR5Dbn-885X3f-bX1jzP-fLNsxY-fLNsMb-fLNsEW-fLNsHS-qrzCXF-2kKx4hN-dxouYF-2ksHbA7-qFxcWY-wfa7f8-6TkPHs-8v6yvV-rd7JMF-FLMHy5-2iMuKh2-8v6yEp-2jcFFec-xKQHMt-8v6yg4-5q55TQ-8rHWDg-HHPL6c-8wktfT-22v3Pcv-oRywag-6mpnCC-2nfQFcd-21LaUvC-dY1tg3. Accessed 10 Oct. 2023.


“OLCD-UPWS0020 University Prep Writing Skills for Academic Study (WRIT0020| Dalhousie University.” Registeratcontinuingeducation.dal.ca, registeratcontinuingeducation.dal.ca/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=95640. Accessed 11 Oct. 2023.

“Budgeting and Saving for Your Child’s Education.” Embark, www.embark.ca/learning-centre/budgeting-and-saving-for-your-childs-education.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Adnan Syed!